JEE Main is assessed to be one of the toughest exams in India with around 9.34 lakhs registered aspirants. In an existing pandemic, it got even tougher and hanging for students trying to crack one of the toughest exams with no proper fixed dates as the actual dates have been postponed. Is it necessary for you to panic? No, it is always necessary for a student to stay calm.
The National level examination comprises three subjects in total with 25 questions each subject. Each correct question would be awarded 4 marks as well as negative marking for every wrong answer. Syllabus of the examination includes chapters taught in senior secondary years (11th and 12th).
There are possibly two levels, the first one is JEE Main which a student needs to crack to take admission into top engineering colleges like NITs and IITs. While JEE Advanced is required only for admission to IITs only. JEE main consists of three papers, paper one is B.E/B. Tech, two is for B.arch and paper three is B.planning. It is essential to meet the JEE Main cutoff to be eligible for admission to pioneer engineering colleges of India.
JEE Main: Subject Wise Critical Topics
There are some chapters/topics to never forfeit while preparing. In Mathematics, very important topics to be thorough with are;
- Set, relations and functions.
- Sequence and Series.
- Mathematical reasoning.
- Differential Equations.
- Straight line.
- Vector and 3D
- Definite integral.
- Application of integrals.
- Trigonometric ratios.
- Indefinite integral.
- Application of derivatives.
- Determinants and matrices.
The chapter to weigh more is Differential Calculus with 4-6 possible questions followed by Integral calculus with 3-4 questions, coordinate geometry with 3 questions, matrix determinants, sequence and series of 2 questions each. Binomial theorem, complex numbers, Permutation & combination, probability, mathematical reasoning, statistics and quadratic equation consists of 1 question each. The rest topics take up one or no question at all. Students who revise the crucial syllabus timely may find it very easy during the preparation.
Important topics in Physics that carry more marks are:
- Thermodynamics: with 3-4 questions
- Heat: with 2-3 questions
- Rotational motion: 3 questions
- Induction and Alternating currents: 1-3 questions
- Electromagnetic induction: 1-3 questions
- Kinematics, electrostatics, electromagnetic field, current electricity: with every 1-2 questions.
- Properties of solids and liquids, atoms and nuclei, optics, rigid body dynamics: each of 2 questions.
In Chemistry, it is divided into three major subdivisions namely physical, organic and inorganic Chemistry. It is very vital to cover almost all the topics but there are also a few significant topics/chapters which are to be prioritized considerably. They are;
- Coordination compounds from which 2-3 confirmed questions are expected.
- Hydrocarbon – 2-3 questions are proved to be asked.
- Alkyl halide, alcohol, either – 1-3 significant questions are foreseen.
- Some basic principles of organic Chemistry – varies from 2 to no question at all.
- Classification of elements and periodicity in properties, equilibrium, some basic concepts of Chemistry, organic compounds containing oxygen – 1 to 2 possible questions.
The other chapters are proved to be not very important but it is negligible to at least be knowing some basic concepts since questions are likewise to be asked from the slightest significant topics.
More or less an aspirant aiming to crack JEE Main should be clear with all reactions in Chemistry, formula and equation in Physics and practice and clear all problems in Mathematics. Revising the study notes during entrance exam preparation makes it easy to solve a few questions, theories, and help in applying formulae.
In a set of JEE Main examinations held on January 9th 2020, Physics was considered to be toughest with more conceptual questions whereas Mathematics was evaluated moderately tough and Chemistry to be the easiest of the rest 2 subjects.
Important, Difficult & Easy Topics of JEE Main
- Physics is not only assessed to stand toughest of all in 2020 but the complications are faced by students every ongoing year. To overcome the situation, students are advised to take up the continuous practice and be thoroughly confident with every single equation and formula.
- In Physics, there are several topics which need greater effort and turns out to be more score booster than any relying topics are electromagnetism, rotation, magnetism and simple harmonic motion. These topics are more conceptual and hence they do not desire formula or equations. Diagrams for the better understanding stage a vaster role. Regular practices and smart work is much needed to solve concept based questions.
- Easiest topics but Weigh surplus marks are a few in Physics. They are modern Physics, current electricity, newton’s law of motion, heat and thermodynamics, oscillation and sound. Formula and continuous practice of equations take up the major part of these topics.
- To ace any topic of Physics, a major contribution of practice is much needed. Students should try various methods of solving a single problem during mock tests so that would be an alternative method in the main exam.
- Few tougher topics but also carry the greatest weightage in Mathematics are permutations and combinations, straight lines, vectors, probability, definite integrations and complex numbers.
- Coordinate geometry comprises straight lines and circles which are conceptual and formula based with great weightage. Parabola of coordinate geometry is quite easy since it is completely formula based.
- Easiest topics with great weightage in Chemistry are Organic Chemistry, p-block elements, Physical Chemistry and Coordination Chemistry. Named reactions, as well as other reactions, are equally important as at least one reaction is seen as a direct question every year.
Everything aside, Mathematics score and rank is considered to be a JEE rank predictor.
Paper 2 & Paper 3- JEE Main Topics
JEE Main Paper 2 & 3 (B.Arch, B.Plan) is for reaping a desirable rank to get admitted in NIT or other centrally funded technical institutions. The paper is completely based on sketching and Mathematics skills as a total of two sections are distinguished. The first section is based on drawing and 3D whereas the other is Mathematics-based.
The Mathematics section of paper 2 is equally tough to paper one which is for engineering candidates. Syllabus for paper two is mathematical (same as paper one), aptitude test, AAT (freehand and geometrical drawings, three-dimensional perception, imagination and aesthetic sensitivity).
Tips to be followed during the last few weeks or days of examination:
- Take-up regular mock tests.
- Try solving previous year papers.
- Revise the covered topics and not start with any new topics.
JEE Main 2020 is now at an important phase with the exam tentatively scheduled for September 2020 amid this crisis there are speculations of further postponement. So, one needs to focus right now on last-minute preparation and critical topics to clear JEE Main cutoff for the admission.