This year Father’s Day falls on Sunday, June 19th, 2016. It is a holiday so you can plan the best. Popular tradition rules the day in which fatherhood is honored, and paternal bonds become stronger.
History says that the day to honor Daddies was initiated by Grace Golden Clayton, inspired by Anna Jarvis, who created Mother’s Day.
It also has a tragic background also. The first day for Dads was held on July 5, 1908, in memory of people who died in the Monongah Mining Disaster, which killed 361 men, 250 of which were fathers. It included Clayton’s dad also.
However, the first official Father’s Day was celebrated in 1910 in Spokane Washington on 19 June to honor parenthood and fatherly bonds.
Sonora Smart Dodd celebrated the day to honor her father who was a civil war veteran and raised six kids with great difficulty. The day was to be celebrated on her dad’s birthday i.e. 5 June. However, the pastor was not able to prepare a sermon for the occasion and therefore the event was advanced to 19 June.
A bill was introduced in the Congress in 1916 to make the day official. President Woodrow Wilson traveled to Spokane with the intention to make the holiday official, but the Congress did not agree.
Again in 1924 President Calvin Coolidge tried to unsuccessfully make it a national holiday.
Finally, in 1966 President Lyndon B. Johnson decreed the first proclamation to celebrate fatherhood and in 1972 President Richard Nixon signed it into law, making it a national holiday.
To celebrate the unique day here is a list of top quotes and messages to honor fathers around the world.
- My dad gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me. — Jim Valvano
- My dad used to say that it’s never too late to do anything you wanted to do. And he said, ‘You never know what you can accomplish until you try.’- Michael Jordan
- As fathers commonly go, it is seldom a misfortune to be fatherless; and considering the general run of sons, as seldom a misfortune to be childless. -Lord Chesterfield
- Don’t make a baby if you can’t be a father. -National Urban League Slogan
- Sons always have a rebellious wish to be disillusioned by that which charmed their fathers.-Aldous Huxley
- A man’s desire for a son is usually nothing but the wish to duplicate himself so that such a remarkable pattern may not be lost to the world. — Helen Rowland
- The worst misfortune that can happen to an ordinary man is to have an amazing father. – 9.
- I’ve had a hard life, but my hardships are nothing against the hardships that my father went through to get me to where I started. — Bartrand Hubbard
- Fathers, be good to your daughters. You are the god and the weight of her world. — Robert Orben Austin O’Malley
- The greatest thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. — Anjaneth Garcia Untalan